When the O.S. Moore family came from Lewis County, NY in 1833, they purchased 160 acres in Shiawassee Township. A log house was built where they resided until 1867. This was donated by the family for use as a school, and Miss Julia Lemon was the first teacher.
In 1945, the number of students attending the Lemon School was so few that the school closed. Finally, the Shiawassee Historical Society purchased the Lemon School and moved it to McCurdy Park. The School is now known as the Lemon School Museum and is a project of the Shiawassee County Historical Society.